Best Golf Bunker Training Aid
The Pocket Bunker — There are very few golf bunker training aids on the market. It is just challenging to design a training aid that can simulate the feel of a bunker as well as teaching the necessary golf swing. Pocket Bunker does a great job at both.
At first, when you look at a Pocket Bunker ball, it seems strange. It looks like an octopus with a dimpled white head and neon green or blue legs. The next impression is that it seems like a toy.
Well, it is not an octopus toy. The Pocket Bunker is a highly effective golf bunker training aid for teaching the appropriate stroke angle and sweep of a well-hit greenside bunker shot.
To practice: Place the Pocket Bunker on the ground. Take a normal stance for hitting a bunker shot. Open the wedges’ clubface, And, swing the wedge, so the head slides under the Pocket Bunker ball.
The key idea is to get the feeling that you are cutting the legs out from underneath the ball. With practice, a golfer will learn the appropriate feel and angle of attack for hitting an excellent greenside bunker shot.
By design, the Pocket Bunker will give instant feedback on whether a shot has been hit thin, fat, shanked, or correctly. A golfer will be able to tell the differences in the strike by both the feel of impact and also by the ball flight.
The Pocket Bunker is constructed of highly durable, tear-resistant material and will last for thousands of practice shots. As one reviewer put it, the Pocket Bunker is “fairly indestructible.” The “head” of the aid is made of relatively hard material and is the same size and look of a real golf ball. The “legs” are made of tough but flexible rubber.
Check out Amazon Reviews
Hints for Best Use of the Pocket Bunker Training Aid:
- The Pocket Bunker can be used on mats, grass and even in a sand trap
- If you are going to use it on grass, we advise short grass. Longer grass can make the Pocket Bunker aid sit too high up or can trap too much grass between the aid and the wedge face
- The Pocket Bunker is a great visualization aid. When you are in a greenside sand trap, hitting a shot, picture your real golf ball as a Pocket Bunker ball. Then imagine sweeping the legs from underneath the ball
- The Pocket Bunker training aid is also a fantastic tool for practicing flop shots. It is the same thinking and setup for hitting a flop. You need to open the clubface and slide the clubhead under the ball
- The Pocket Bunker comes in a three-pack for more effective practice sessions. It used to be possible to buy them one at a time, which just led to way too much shagging of the aid
- Be aware, with a full swing that is hit thin or on the aids’ equator; the Pocket Bunker will travel a fair distance potentially over twenty yards. So, make sure you have enough room for these types of mis-hits
- Some folks use the Pocket Bunker inside. We are a little dubious about this unless you have considerable height and distance in the space. Or, unless you are hitting into a full-sized golf net
- Lastly, the Pocket Bunker does not simulate hitting a full shot out of a fairway bunker. The mechanics of a fairway bunker shot are different than from a greenside bunker
Click Here to Buy the Best Golf Bunker Training Aid!
Frequently Asked Questions:
WILL THE POCKET BUNKER BREAK WHEN HITTING IT “IN THE LEGS”?
The Pocket Bunker is made of a rugged material that will withstand just about any shot you can subject it to. If over an extended period and usage, one of the legs gets severely damaged, the Practice Bunker can still be effectively used on seven legs.
CAN I USE POCKET BUNKER TO PRACTICE FLOP SHOTS?
YES. The Pocket Buner is excellent for practicing flop shots.
IS THE POCKET BUNKER SOFTER THAN REAL GOLF BALLS? CAN THEY DAMAGE WALLS, WINDOWS, ETC?
The hard white half is somewhat softer than a golf ball. At full speed, the Pocket Bunker is hard enough to break a window.
HOW FAR DOES THE POCKET BUNKER FLY AFER HITTING A SHOT?
Depending on swing speed, club type, and contact point, the Pocket Bunker will fly between 5-35 yards.
As a golf bunker training aid, the Pocket Bunker is easy to use, highly portable, and fun. Through repeated use, the Pocket Bunker will help with technique and, more importantly, with a golfer’s confidence.
For excellent instruction on the setup and technique of hitting a greenside bunker shot, you might want to pick up either Phil Miclekson’s or David Pelz’s books on the short game. Click here for our description and review of these two great short game books.