Garmin has been the leader in the golf GPS watch market for years. They have continuously enhanced their product line’s “in-watch” functionality while maintaining multiple value and feature price points.
While the product line continues to evolve, Garmin has two current models that we would recommend based on price and features. The Garmin Approach S10 and Approach S60 both offer the following:
- Over 41,000 pre-loaded courses
- Sunlight readable faces with the S60 being color and the S10 being monochromatic
- Accurate readings of the distance to the front, middle, and back of the green
- Yardage to layups and doglegs
However, there are significant capability differences between these two watches. Check out some of the main features below:
Garmin Approach S10: The S10 is Garmin’s most basic golf GPS watch. In terms of its main features, the Approach S10:
- Offers great value! For the level of technology, the S10 has a great price
- Provides a .9 x .9 inch, rounded rectangular face
- A green view display showing the shape and layout of the green
- Measures shot distances
- Has an extended battery life: up to 12 hours in GPS mode; up to 14 weeks in watch mode
Garmin Approach S60: The S60 was an evolutionary leap beyond Garmin’s early models. That said, the Garmin S60 is not the latest Garmin GPS watch, but in some instances, the newer models are twice as expensive, if not more. The S60 gives way more functionality than a typical golfer needs at a reasonable price. It is an excellent value for a high level of tech.
While offering the features of prior generations, the S60 offers enhancements in its golf functionality and as an activity and exercise tracker. The Approach S60 Offers:
- A large, 1.2″ sunlight-readable color display. It is a touchscreen display with 240 * 240 pixels (over twice as many as the S10)
- Precise yardages to greens, hazards, and doglegs on full-color course maps
- Distance calculation to any point on the hole by touching the screen
- Ability to track your swing tempo, enabling tempo training
- Up to 10 hours of battery life while golfing — or up to 10 days in watch mode
- Smartphone compatible for additional functionality
- In terms of “Smart” capabilities, you can see the weather, your calendar, and control your smartphone music, among other functionality
- Activity tracking, such as step counting, distance traveled, and calories burned
- As a physical training aid, the watch has heart rate tracking and has enhanced GPS, timing, and profile functionality for running, cycling, swimming, skiing, and more.
Summary: Why Buy a Garmin GPS Golf Watch? Garmin is the longstanding leader in golf GPS technology. Its watches cover over 41,000 courses worldwide and are accurate within feet on any of the courses offered. With Garmin, a golfer has a relatively wide range of price points and features to fit any serious golfer’s needs. Nothing is easier than putting a Garmin on, selecting your course, and immediately knowing your distances to target on a course.
Pros and Cons of the Garmin Golf GPS Watch
- No technology is more accessible than an on-your-wrist GPS
- The leader in GPS technology and mapping, gives highly accurate distances
- No ongoing subscription costs or fees
- No/low glare screens, even in bright light
- The product line offers a progression of function and price. Buy only what you need
- Stylish design
CONS (about the S60):
- When on, the notification function can be a bit of an annoyance
- Stat tracking is a little cumbersome
- Some reviewers feel the S60 has too many features of limited value
We would not go to a course without wearing a Garmin Golf GPS watch!
Buy one of the best Golf GPS Watches — The Garmin S10 or Garmin S60!
Frequently Asked Questions:
DO GARMIN WATCHES REQUIRE A SIM WITH A SERVICE PROVIDER FOR THE GPS TO WORK?
No Garmin GPS Golf Watches are just charge and go. You do not need a service provider.
IF YOU DON’T START ON HOLE 1, CAN YOU EASILY ADJUST THE WATCH TO YOUR STARTING HOLE?
Adjusting the S10 or S60 to your starting hole is very easy. Just flip through to the hole you started on.
CAN YOU MAKE CALLS AND TEXTS WITH THE GARMIN S60 GOLF WATCH?
No, you won’t be able to initiate or interact with calls and texts. But the Garmin watch will notify you of an incoming call and show you part of the incoming text.
DOES THE S60 ALLOW YOU TO MEASURE THE DISTANCE TO A SPOT ON THE COURSE? FOR INSTANCE, CAN YOU DETERMINE THE DISTANCE TO THE FRONT OF THE WATER?
Yes, on the Garmin S60, you can tap on the desired area on the touchscreen watch face, and it will show the distance.
ARE THE GARMIN S10 AND S60 GPS GOLF WATCHES WATERPROOF?
Garmin claims a 5 ATM rating suitable for splashes, rain or snow, showering, swimming, diving into the water, and snorkeling. Garmin lists unsuitable activities such as scuba diving and high-speed watersports.
A 5 ATM rating equals a depth of 50 meters or 165 feet.
DO THESE WATCHES HAVE A HEART MONITOR?
There is no heart rate monitor on the S10 or S60.
IS THE YARDAGE INDICATOR ON THE GARMIN WATCH THE DISTANCE TO THE PIN, OR IS IT TO THE CENTER OF THE GREEN?
Both watches give the distance to the green’s front, center, and back.
The S60 watch allows you to ‘move’ the pin to get a more accurate distance to a specified spot.
For folks who want an even more robust golf performance analysis system, check out our review of Arccos Golf Caddie.
If you like The Best Golf Training Aids, check out our sister sites: