The Putter Wheel Golf Trainer is a two-in-one training system that teaches golfers how to hit straight putts consistently. The primary putting aid resembles a golf ball that has had its two sides cut off, creating a “wheel” shape.
The “putter wheel” is designed to replicate the weight and feel of hitting a real golf ball to give a true sense of contact and roll. When practicing, putts that are not hit “square” will cause the putting wheel to move off of the intended line.
At impact, a golfer’s putter needs to be square to the target line without imparting excessive side spin. Due to its engineered design, the wheel gives immediate feedback on putting contact and stroke. The wheel will not roll straight if impact isn’t proper; instead, it will wobble and move off-line. The putter wheel is designed to “amplify” improper putting strokes. Through practice, golfers will learn a proper putting stroke and how to keep the putter face squared for impact to roll putts correctly.
An additional aspect of the putter wheel is that it helps golfers practice setting their eyes directly over the golf ball. Many professionals swear by this positioning for their putting set up.
The putter wheel has red circles on both of its sides. If a golfer is standing over the putter wheel and can see either the near or far side red “sidewalls,” then he knows that the position of his eyes is not directly over the ball. These sidewalls give immediate and useful feedback for a golfer to practice the correct setup position over the ball. If a golfer sees the sidewalls, he is standing too close or too far from the ball.
The second putting aid is a “2 line alignment template,” which a golfer can snap onto his golf balls to draw two parallel lines to replicate the visual guides of the putter wheel. The lines drawn on a “live” ball are the same width apart as the edges of the putter wheel. While playing or practicing with a “lined” golf ball, the golfer will have the same sense of alignment that he will experience while practicing with the putter wheel.
After a golfer has used the putter wheel on the practice green, he can easily transition his new skills onto the course with “lined” balls.
Pros and Cons of the Putter Wheel Golf Trainer
- The putter wheel gives immediate feedback to teach proper putting
- Two in one putting aid
- The putter wheel feels and rolls like a real golf ball
- Comes with a pouch to hold both aids
- The small size allows easy storage in a golf bag
- Can be used either indoors or outdoors
- The Putter Wheel comes in single, double or triple packs
- Some critics have felt that a single line drawn around the center of a golf ball can give similar training for less expense
- One putting wheel might not be sufficient for an effective practice session. We recommend that golfers should buy a three-pack
- Buying multiple putting wheels can get expensive
- Will not help golfers learn how to read slopes or control speed. The aid only focuses on a consistently squared impact
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
WILL THE PUTER WHEEL WORK IF I PUTT WITH AN ARC?
It does not matter whether you putt “straight back and through” or with an arc. The Putter Wheel helps golfers perfect a squared impact with the golf ball.
HOW MANY PUTTER WHEELS SHOULD I BUY?
We recommend buying a three-pack. We understand that the aid is a little pricey, but chasing one Putter Wheel around would quickly become tedious, and it would be more challenging to hardwire optimal squared impact.
WILL THE PUTTER WHEEL WORK ON A SLOPED SURFACE?
It is preferable to use the Putter Wheel on a flat surface, that enables a straight roll.